DESIGN STUDIO WORKSHOP II
AOK offers a two session three days’ workshop in an interactive architecture Design Studio exercise to turn a vacant site into a unique opportunity to rethink Kuwait City. The Studio will be developed in two moments with an interval of three months. The participants are expected to discuss and produce quickly and collaboratively new design strategies for the given site. Through daily sessions of 3-4 hours the thought related knowledge generated throughout these must result in provocative architecture and building proposals.
- PROJECT DESCRIPTION
AOK as a leading agency promotes the debate on ABDULLAH AL-AHMAD STREET future development. Since 2012, the Kuwait Municipality expects the development of a cultural and educational centre which includes diverse community facilities, cultural institutions, housing and sports activities to meet the growing expectations of the younger crowds regarding the this area of the city.
The site is divided into 3 plots as follows:
- Plot A (area of 29,526 sq.-m):Surrounded by Abdullah Al- Ahmad street from the North, Ahmad Al-Jaber street from the South, Khaled Bin Al-Waleed street from the East and Abu Ubaida street from the West;
- Plot B(area of 22,872 sq.-m): Surrounded by Abdullah Al- Ahmad Street from the North, Ahmad Al-Jaber street from the South, Khaled Bin Al-Waleed street from the West and Jaber Al-Mubark street from the East;
- Plot C (area of 4,700 sq.-m): Surrounded by Abdullah Al- Ahmad Street from the North, Ahmad Al-Jaber Street from the South and right to plot B.
The objective of this Studio is to develop a Design Strategy for the area that can:
- Assist the Public Discussion in defining educational and cultural strategies;
- Create an image that can inform and provoke Public Discussion;
- Create a support document for Public Discussion among the different Land Operators and Stakeholders.
The site programme must be discussed as an exploratory exercise but the applicable urban and building regulations must be considered.
The PDF booklet of a pre-concept package of deliverables for an urban and/or building proposal must be completed by the end of each three days’ workshop as a comprehensive representation of the contents produced.
The list of final deliverables includes the following elements:
- Coloured Master Plan 1:2500
- Optional Plans 1:500
- Optional Sections 1:500
- Optional Elevations 1:500
- Optional Axonometric view
- Urban/Landscape Concept of key areas
- Optional Interior Design Concept of key buildings
- 9/10 digital rendering or/and physical model
- TUTORS BIO
Ilias Papageorgiou, Principal at SO – IL, New York
Ilias was born in Athens, Greece (1980). He holds a Diploma of Architecture from the Aristotle University in Greece, and a Masters in Architecture from Harvard University. Ilias has been with SO – IL since its inception in 2008 and has played a key role in the firm’s recognition and success. Besides practicing, Ilias has been a visiting critic at various universities, and with SO – IL has taught design studios at Columbia University’s GSAPP.
Ricardo Camacho, Principal at CasaGranturismo, Portugal
Ricardo Camacho  holds degree in Architecture (TU Lisbon) and MArchII (Harvard University) with grant from Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. Working as an architect since 2002, among his major projects CasaGranturismo is architectural venture with several worldwide practices: Atelier BowWow, SPBR, FREE, Pezo Von Ellrishausen, etc. In 2014 he completed the design of Al Shaheed Park in Kuwait associated with Stroop Landscape and local based consultants. Besides practicing, Ricardo has been a visiting critic at various universities and he is co-author of “Habitar Portugal 2006/2009” and curator of three international seminars on Architecture and Tourism.